Easy homemade mac and cheese. 30 minute prep, 20 minutes baking time. Family favorite as a side dish or you can add chicken to make it a meal!
- 3 tbsp flour
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cups of whole milk
- 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup grated Gouda cheese
- 2 cups raw macaroni noodles
- Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Grease small baking pan
- Boil water and add macaroni noodles
- While noodles are cooking, melt butter in medium saucepan
- Once butter is melted, mix in flour, salt and pepper and stir together until smooth
- SLOWLY add milk (it is important to maintain cooking temperature as much as possible)
- allow to come to a boil stirring occasionally until sauce thickens slightly.
- add cheddar and gouda and stir until melted.
- drain pasta
- pour cheese sauce into drained pasta and stir.
- pour macaroni and cheese into small baking dish and evenly cover with Panko bread crumbs.
- bake for 20 minutes or until bread crumbs are slightly browned
*could also top with shredded cheddar instead of bread crumbs and bake at 400F for 10 minutes.
*makes 3-4 servings.